It is easy to sit and lament about how hard it is to survive in Nigeria however, there are opportunities all around us. All we need is to observe and sniff them out. Here are 20 business ideas that you can start with 100 thousand naira or less.
- Bedsheet/Beddings Production: Visit Lagos Island or Oshodi, where they sell bulk materials, take your time in selecting a quality and beautiful designs. There are tailors on the ground that will sew it in the market. You can start this business with less than 100 thousand, with patience and diligence the business will grow.
- Shirt production: This business comes with ease and can serve as a side hustle for nine-to-fivers. A regular visit to Taiwo street Lagos Island does it, scout for materials whose price ranges from #700-#1,000 and employ a tailor that will sew it for prices ranging from #1,500 – #2,000. You can sell at a retail price of #5,000 or #7, 000.
- Boxers Production: Schedule a trip to Aba market, The cost of production of boxers is cheap. The production cost for one can be as low as N300, all you need to do is to package it into three pieces in a pack. And market them properly, take quality pictures, ask your followers or friend on twitter to make a retweet on twitter or a re-post on Instagram. Let them be affordable to buy, you can start by selling yours for #1,200 and with time you will begin to grow.
- E-Payments and POS Business: You can a get POS machine from your Bank, and activate online banking: If you live in a place where banks aren’t much you can handle e payments for people and make a profit. There was a time I paid someone N200 to withdraw 10k in Ikorodu just because the queue at the ATM was extremely long.
- Mobile and electronic Accessories such Pouches, Chargers, USB cables, HDMI cables, earphones and more, can be sourced on Alibaba, Ali Express, Deal Extreme, etc. The more you buy from the vendors on Alibaba and the likes the lower the price. Fortunately, they are light so shipping won’t be a burden. Sell on your social media pages or on Jumia and co.
- Popcorn Production: For this particular business all you need is Bag of corn (which you can get from Mile 12), Branded nylon, Sugar, Salt and The beauty of this business is that it’s the aroma of the popcorn that fetches you your customer and it can be served anywhere. A manual sealing machine costs between 7-9k while a popcorn machine costs #65,000 on Jumia.
- Sales and Customizing of Football Team: Football team supporters always want to show how much they’re rooting for a team. You can get a free consultation from my sister @The_Ronke (on Twitter) she is opened to show you the ropes and how to thrive in the business.
- Snail farming: Snail farming in Nigeria is relatively cheap and it is a business that requires patience to thrive. Bear in mind that it takes up to a year for snails to fully
- Thrift Items: Mainly clothing such as Jeans, tops, skirts and the likes can be sourced from Although you wouldn’t get a bail with #100,000 you can mix the items and sell. All you need to do is to up your branding and marketing skills. Wash and Iron all clothes when an order is made
- Cleaning Services: Some people find it hard to clean their apartments because they’re busy all through the week. And during the weekends they have engagements to attend to or they simply want to rest. The required tools won’t cost up to 30k and you can clean 6 apartments a weekend.
- Home Cooking and Delivery: This is a business you can run from home. Cook variety of meals and apply customer services skills. @Soup_A_Market and @Marrgarritah (on Twitter) are more than capable hands to train you on how to start up.
- Digital Marketing: The success of any business is in its ability to effectively reach its teeming customers and this can be achieved by effective marketing: Get a Used Laptop and Smartphone, a modem or temporarily your smartphone can double as your hotspot
- Cakes and Confectionery: This is one business that always comes to play, people celebrate, and bakers are always Get the required skill, a decent oven, passion and customer service.
- Aso-Oke Beading and Stoning has been in vogue now, and this is another sweet business one can start with 100k.
- Home Service Barber: This is another profitable small-scale You’re meeting a need and you will only be charging a little above the regular price in which the consumers will be more than willing to pay. Get your equipment and while at it remember there are rechargeable clippers now
- Tutorial Classes: No matter your age, this is another well-paying job, either as part-time or full-time. Many families are willing to spend what it takes for their children’s success and there’s one subject you’re well versed at. Just close the gap, meet their need for a fee.
- Internet Services: Forget the extensive coverage of internet and the fact that people can assess it on their phones; Do you know how much applicants pay just to have Jamb applications filled online? You need a good system, printer & internet service provider (ISP). People pay as much as 1k per application
- Production of Zobo, Smoothies, cocktail, small chops, cupcakes and chin-chin: You’d realize the importance of this combo can’t be ruled out. You can render these services with 100k start-up capital coupled with proper marketing, branding, and
- Production of Hand-Made cards: Do you know people pay good money for these thing made of paper and strawboard. This is one business you can start with less than 100k. My friend @CraftsVillageNG (on Twitter) started in his bedroom! And his cards went far.
- Re-Invest your seed Capital in an existing business: Not everyone has the head for business but they can sniff opportunities. You can always sow your money as operating capital and draft an agreement on profit sharing.
Truth is there so much one can do with very little, it takes persistence, focus, interest and above all hard work. We can’t all be rich but we all shouldn’t be poor.
First seen on Twitter:@bodalanre